Monday, October 24, 2011

The City Never Sleeps

God made two lights, the greater one to shine brightly in the day, and the lesser to glimmer softly in the night.


Then Man invented the light bulb, and now the city never sleeps.

Saw in the newspapers that many spas are open 24 hours a day so that we can get massages whenever we want, since Singaporeans work such late hours. I’m not sure that this is a good idea. It may mean greater convenience for customers, and the business owners can maximize the use of their premises. But it disturbs me to think of the human costs to keep our economy humming even when it is time to rest. Who is going to work these graveyard shifts, pummeling sore muscles and helping others to relax so that they can sleep well? Seeing the toll exacted on my father as a night driver, I don’t think anyone really ‘gets used’ to such topsy-turvy hours.

Maybe I am being too sentimental and sensitive about it. I just can’t see myself going for midnight massages anytime soon.

No comments: