Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Not by sight

The scariest part of ‘living by faith’ is the second part of the instruction – ‘and not by sight’ (2 Cor 5:7). How I hate situations of uncertainty! When all my plans are laid carefully, I don’t like there to be any unexpected development which could change everything. Should I insist on sticking to the path I can see, even if it means wrestling control out of God’s hand, if this is possible? Or do I put my foot into the darkness, trusting that something is there to support my weight, and risk plunging into nothingness?
What reason have I to take such a risk? Nothing, except the Word of God, which tells me that I can ‘acknowledge him in all my ways and He will make my path straight’ (Proverbs 3:6). If God can make the world come about merely by speaking, I suppose, His Word is good enough promise for me.

No comments: